Escargot Recipe: How to Make a Delicious Garlic Butter Escargot Dish
Escargot is a French delicacy made from cooked land snails. Although it may seem like an unusual food choice, escargot has been enjoyed for centuries by many cultures around the world. In this article, we will explore how to make this classic dish and provide some helpful tips for preparing and serving escargot.
To make escargot, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 can of escargot (around 24 pieces)
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bread for serving
A. Preparing the escargot
- Cleaning the escargot: The first step in preparing escargot is to clean them thoroughly. Rinse the snails under cold water and remove any debris or dirt. Then, soak them in salted water for 1-2 hours to remove any remaining impurities.
- Cooking the escargot: Once the escargot are clean, they can be cooked. Drain the water and boil the escargot for 5 minutes in a pot of water. Drain again and set aside.
B. Making the garlic butter sauce
- Sauteing garlic and shallots: Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and shallots and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Adding butter and parsley: Add the chopped parsley to the pan and stir to combine. Cook for an additional minute.
- Seasoning with salt and pepper: Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
C. Serving the escargot
- Plating the escargot: Place the escargot in a baking dish or individual escargot dishes. Top each snail with a spoonful of the garlic butter sauce.
- Pouring the garlic butter sauce over the escargot: Pour the remaining garlic butter sauce over the escargot in the baking dish.
- Serving with bread: Toast slices of bread and serve with the escargot.
IV. Tips and Variations
- To make the escargot even more flavorful, try adding a splash of white wine or lemon juice to the garlic butter sauce.
- Escargot can also be served with puff pastry or in a puff pastry shell for an elegant presentation.
- For a unique twist, try adding herbs such as thyme or rosemary to the garlic butter sauce.
In conclusion, escargot may not be a dish that everyone enjoys, but it is certainly worth trying for those who love to explore new and unique foods. With this recipe and some helpful tips, you can make a delicious and impressive escargot dish for your next dinner party or special occasion. Bon appétit!